Thursday, October 28, 2010

Not happily ever after

Is anyone surprised at the pending divorce of Billy Ray Cyrus and his wife Tish? They have been married for 17 years. That is a long time in the high-profile lifestyle that Billy Ray and Tish have led.

As the child of divorce, I should have seen this coming. The timing of Cyrus' daughter, Miley's meltdown and the divorce is not likely to be coincidental.

Miley has become very un-Hannah like the last year or so. I, along with many others, attributed her more provocative, slightly out-of-control behavior as an attempt to grow up and move away from the girlish Hannah Montana image. In retrospect, it also resembles the posturings of a child whose parents are the throes of marital breakdown.

Parental marital strife is traumatic. Otherwise stable children can lose focus when their parents are constantly disagreeing. Parents often try to hide the conflict, but can't always keep everything hidden. Some parents don't try to hide the discord, and that's even more more difficult for a child.

I am not a Cyrus insider, so I am speculating. I gotta say, I became uncontrollable when my parents divorced.  It took a couple of years to find myself once the divorce happened. I'm not sure I would have rebounded so quickly if I had not had some remarkable intervention in the form of an outstanding step-dad. He was supportive and strict and listened really well.

Miley is old enough to begin throwing off the protective arms of her parents. I hope the divorce is not going to make her go too far. In any case, I wish all the Cyrus family the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be respectful. Only attack ideas and not individuals. Most of all, think!